The La montaña del Quindío (Quindío mountain) was the obligatory pass for the Spanish colonial forces, looking to exploit the trading routes of the indigenous tribes. Originally known as Camino de los Indios (Road of the Indians), then changed to the Camino Real during the colonial period before now being known as the Camino Nacional- this route has a deep, varied history that helped shape modern, Colombian culture as well as found the many individual towns in the local area. This day is our ideal for travelers and families short on time, but want to see and learn as much as about rural Colombia.
The recent history of this area is shocking when you take into account its stunning natural beauty. This area was, until this decade, unpassable due to the mountainous area being under control of the Farc. Now there are about 900 hectares of forests that cover the area, where there are still the largest amount of Wax Palms in the region. There are around 600,000 adult palms, a figure 600 times higher than the total number of palms there are in the iconic Cocora Valley.
– Leaving Salento at 8:00 am, the group will board a Jeep Willlys, the typical transport of the coffee region towards the National Road (the line marking the two departments of Quindío and Tolima).
– Our vehicle takes us deep into stunning natural landscapes of the region, until we reach a farm called The Carbonera 28 Kilometers from Salento. Here we take a hidden path between the Wax Palms Forest, well away from other tourists, to discuss the importance of the Colombian national tree. This route of approx. 3km takes us an hour and a half, with many stops for discussion and questions.
– We slowly make our way towards our lunch spot (within a rustic, traditional farm house).
– Following our hearty and delicious lunch, we make a turn back towards Salento. Depending on the group, here we have two options: 1) Return to Salento by car, exploring the ancestral paths full of beautiful views and sights
2) Return to Salento walking for a path which is known “el camino nacional”, the group walk around 8 kilometers. – The day ends around 5 pm in Salento, arriving just in time for a picturesque sunset.
– Take breakfast before starting the tour
– For your safety always comply with the recommendations of your guide throughout the tour
– Do not remove any vegetation of organic matter from the National Park and its surroundings
– Use of psychoactive substances is prohibited
– Do not drink alcohol the day before the activity
– Please be open and honest from the moment you contact us regarding medical information or other factors that impact upon your safety when isolated in the mountains.
What to Bring:
– Shoes/boots adequate for trekking, with middle heel counter and waterproof. (NO tennis/sneakers/sandals)
– Rain gear (rain jacket and rain pants)
– Hiking poles
– Backpack for your personal belongings and the snack packs more than (30 liters)
– Sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat
– Bring a bottle of one liter or more for water, we take care of the recharge during the hike
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Value For Money 12345
Let us support you to live this great adventure in Colombia! Contact us now and request all the information to make it a unique experience, made to your needs.
Cellphones: +57 311 745 3761 – +57 310 382 40 26
E-mail: [email protected]
Carrera 5 numero 9 – 33 / Salento – Quindio- Colombia
Elija la experiencia de su interés- Seleccione una Opción -Viaje a la medidaAcaime La MontañaAventura en los VolcanesPijao y Buenavista. Cafe, Cultura y PaisajeLookout Nature TrekCircuito entre Palmas y FrailejonesCumbre Nevado de Santa IsabelAndes y sus comunidadesCruzando los Andes CentralesSantuario de Palmas, Naturaleza y Paz
Elija la experiencia de su interés
- Seleccione una Opción -Viaje a la medidaAcaime La MontañaAventura en los VolcanesPijao y Buenavista. Cafe, Cultura y PaisajeLookout Nature TrekCircuito entre Palmas y FrailejonesCumbre Nevado de Santa IsabelAndes y sus comunidadesCruzando los Andes CentralesSantuario de Palmas, Naturaleza y Paz
¿Alguna inquietud adicional?
¿Alguna inquietud adicional?